[pct-l] Section B Hwy 74 to Idllywild Detour Routing

Frederick Baier frederickbaier at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 7 17:42:02 CDT 2014

Aloha Good People,

I seem to recall reading a few weeks/days back that the Forest Service and/or the PCTA is/was/were working on a 'recommend/sanctioned detour route from Hwy 74 to Idllywild. My plan is to hike up to Cedar Springs then down Morris Ranch Road to Hwy 74 on/about 6 May... track along that until Hurkey Creek. I think where it gets dicey is at Hurkey Creek CG up to Idllywild on 7 May. This is the area where I'm wondering if there'll be a designated detour/bypass route established to eliminate the need to walk up the road. I dunno, but I was thinking maybe the FS might take an interest in reducing the potential danger to hikers walking on the road--which I understand would be somewhat questionable safety-wise once one turns off onto Hwy 243. So...Question One: I've been looking at the PCTA website and it says a route has not yet been determined. Is there really an effort underway to establish a 'designated' alternate route? and Second Question: in the absence of a bonafide detour route, would it be safer to hike up Hwy 243 at night to take advantage of reduced traffic? Whew. OK, I am now steeled for the possibility of scorn, abuse, sarcasm, ridicule, joshing, teasing, etc. from the masses in the event these are interpreted as naive, dumb, or previously answered questions. Thanks!

Aloha, Fritz