[pct-l] Pot/dishes cleaning- judge reinhold

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 12:15:54 CDT 2014

Some people on this list are better ignored. It's okay to ask about pot cleaning methods or anything else. Some people are more fastidious than others, though, so you will get a lot of information you might think is crazy.

The thing about thru-hiking vs just ordinary backpacking is that thru-hiking tends to prioritize hiking over every other activity because hiking is what you do for the vast majority of the time. There is very little camping and thus very little time, need, desire, energy, patience or whatever else for camping equipment or behaviors. The longer you are out there, the less civilized you get in many ways, too. Not everyone, but a huge amount of long distance hikers are this way.

It's like before long distance hiking, you try to replicate as many of your home activities as you can. The pillow, the chair, the coffee and mug, the soap and washing, etc. Then you get out there and you discard most of them or find replacements like your shoes are your pillow, your pad is your chair, your coffee is cold and drunk from an old gatorade bottle, you no longer wash with soap either your dishes or your body, etc. (Until you get to town.)