[pct-l] hitchhiking hints

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 19:19:22 CDT 2013

I didn't do any of these self-protective hints, except perhaps
evaluate the driver and passengers before accepting rides. I found
that hitchhiking was one of the main things to restore my faith in
humanity. I got rides from all walks of life, all ages, all kinds of
people.

I met a rancher who was upset about land management practices that
wanted to eliminate cattle from public lands. We had a hatred of off-
road motorcycling in common.

I met a native American who does the yearly walk from Bridgeport into
the Sierra and told me stories about how he likes to just set off
into the Southern Sierra for a while. Doesn't bring any food. Just
hunts as he goes.

I met a young nurse who seemed confused by the direction of her life
and probably picked me up because I reminded her of herself and
seemed to offer some other direction she could take even though I was
hiking the PCT because I was confused by the direction of my own life.

I got laughed at by a passing cyclist that I'd never get a ride and
then got a ride a minute later from some guy who just knew I was one
of the PCT hikers and wanted to grill me because he really wanted to
hike the PCT someday.

I got a ride in a van with a bunch of young women, their mom and
their Downs syndrome sister.

I got a ride from some old people who "never pick up hitchhikers, but
there was something about you that made us stop" and they took me to
meet their son who was a ranger at Crater Lake.

I got a ride from some people who looked like they could possibly
drive away with my gear, but they were nice and did not drive away
with my gear.

I got a ride from an employee at the ski center on Mt. Hood. He was
late for work and man was that a scary ride.

I got a ride from a guy I met on the trail a couple weeks prior after
having people turn me down for hours with a wave or even stop, roll
down their windows and tell me they were so sorry they couldn't give
me a ride and please try to be safe. Well, if you aren't an axe
murderer yourself, and you obviously don't think I am, how bout
giving me a ride?

I got a ride from Steven's pass and we got to talking and missed
Skykomish by about 20 minutes. He was nice enough to turn around and
I got him to let me off in Baring. I ended up having a great dinner
at the store and while I was eating it turned out the Dinsmores were
at the next table but I didn't know because I had never met them before.

So many great adventures around hitchhiking for me. It was kinda one
of the more fun things about the trail and definitely the biggest
surprise of the experience. Back when I was first trying to do all my
resupply planning I figured I would try to plan so that I never had
to hitchhike. I'm glad that didn't work out.

Diane