[pct-l] Hitching

igellenig igellenig at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 17:19:26 CDT 2013

The easiest way to hitch is to gey friendly with someone who is on the trail heading out the day you are.  Day hikers, people out for a short jaunt with their dog, overnight backpackers...all are potential rides at the trailhead.  Be friendly, offer money for gas if nec.  If you come out to a TH on a weekend, it is easier to find someone getting into their car, and just nicely ask for a ride.  Being older, I've found that in California, people are used to hikers needing rides.  Doesn't work everytime, so plan a bit of down time when you reach the TH (have enoigh water and maybe a snack to sustain you).
You don'y have to accept a ride from someone who is impaired or looks threatening.  It helps if you have an 'excuse' ready for refusing in these situations.
No Butt