[pct-l] hitchhiking hints

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Wed Sep 25 12:20:37 CDT 2013

Other points regarding self-protection:

Evaluate the driver and passengers before accepting a ride, especially if
you are female. If anything doesn't feel right about the ride, don't take
it.

Memorize - or better yet, write down - the license number of the vehicle.
This is especially important BEFORE you toss your gear into the trunk or the
back of a truck. You wouldn't be the first hitch-hiker left standing by the
road watching the vehicle speed away with your gear. There are a few sick
folks out there who find this funny. It is also helpful if you discover
later that you inadvertently left something in the vehicle at the end of the
hitch.

I tape a return address label on each of my trekking poles or other valuable
items I might set down and forget. When my wife lost one of my poles on a
hike, the thoughtful finder was able to track me down to arrange a return
shipment. LT4's are expensive; so are cameras and GPS units.