[pct-l] Boots! And thx

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 19:37:09 CDT 2013

On Sep 24, 2013, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Subject: [pct-l] Boots! And thx
> I just visited an REI store doing research. The shoe person
> contradicted Yogi about the type of shoe usually worn on tue PCT.
> She insisted on a sturdy boot to hike and not trailrunners..saying
> that anything less would trash your feet even if going ultralight.
> From what I recall of Yogi's book...most wear trailrunners.
>
> What is your opinion? Advice?

Number one advice: Never tell the REI store clerks what you are
planning to do with the gear you are interested in. The most you
should tell them you just want to do a little jogging, maybe on
trails a little. But maybe don't tell them anything more.

I stopped in at the Seattle REI during my 2nd half of the PCT. There
I am with my stained and worn out hiking clothes. I'm sure I'm not
the first hiker they've ever seen. Anyway, I tell the clerk I need a
pair of breathable, mesh trail running shoes, men's 8 or 9, and
really wide, not too stiff. No waterproof stuff. He brings me out a
stack of heavy leather goretex boots. I was like WTF??? What part of
breathable mesh trail running shoes did he misunderstand? I finally
had to resort to pointing at a pair of street running shoes that
happened to say EEEE width and said give me a pair of those in the
smallest size you have. He was so exasperated with me he just dumped
them on me and washed his hands of me. They seemed a little too big,
but he refused to help me anymore so I just bought them and left.

So there I am out on the PCT with my new shoes and I'm just going
along when some backpacker dude points at me and tells his friends,
"Look at that ultralight hiker. She doesn't know what she's doing.
She's totally unprepared and look at her ankles! Look at how they
bend in her low-cut shoes! She's going to kill herself." I look down
at my ankles and I'm like huh??? Aren't your ankles supposed to bend
when you walk? What on earth is he going on about? I've hiked 2500
miles already. I think I'm going to be fine.

Anyway, my new shoes turned out to be fine. I guess you don't even
need your running shoes to be TRAIL running shoes so now I don't even
bother with that anymore. I just get street running shoes. Saves a
lot of money and they're a lot more comfortable in my opinion, plus
there are a lot more kinds to choose from.

I've hiked in just about everything you can imagine. I find what
works best for me are lightweight breathable mesh running shoes
(trail or otherwise), minimalist as possible (but not too minimalist)
or Chaco sandals. Wool socks, not too thick, thinner is better, but a
variety in case my feet are sore or there's a horrible road walk and
I need something cushy. Extra cushy insoles are nice for road walks,
too.

Okay, enough from me.