[pct-l] Hiking shoes

igellenig igellenig at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 16:48:43 CDT 2013

There are many opinoons about shoes as there are miles of trail.  The bottom line will always be: find a system that works for you.  That means potentially trying a few options before on shorter hikes before you start the PCT.
If you have chronic foot problems or ankle instability, you may want boots.  Trail runners or just running shoes work well for a lot of folks.  Much of the trail has a decent tread and with a light pack, TR are comfortable.  They also dry quickly, for when you get to stream fords.  But test how your feet do hiking with wet shoes and socks.
Some people like sandals, opting for the freedom and comfort.  Open toe sandals put you at a higher risk for toe fractures, but people have been successful.
I've seen people in toe shoes and even barefoot.  Don't know how successful these are over the distance.
You may want to combine all these ideas.  Sandals or trail runners for southern Ca, boots for snowy areas (with a shoe for wading maybe), a gortex something for rainy Washington.  Afyer all you will need more than one pair of shoes, whatever you opt for.
Regardless, put so me miles on whatever shoe you choose before the long hike.  A lot of hikers suffer the first few weeks from a failure to do so.
BTW, try out different socks.  Thick or thin, doubled up, etc.
No Butt