[pct-l] New Wanna-be Thru-hiker

marmot marmot marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 23 19:06:34 CDT 2013

Yes, there are resources out there that don't cost much. You can make most of your own gear. But unless you eat out of hiker boxes --and it gets pretty thin at the end of the trail when everyone has figured out how much they actually eat and have stopped sending too much food--you still have to buy food. Getting a rep as a mooch--can cause other hikers to run when they see you. Being asked for maps and food and fuel within seconds of meeting someone ends up being difficult. If you can't pay your share of a motel room---well why? It's great to share--but we are all adults out there. There has developed a bit of a homeless element on the trail. People who hike a bit and hitchhike alot. That is starting to feel like the AT. I've washed out old drink bottles too---there's nothing wrong with that. I think it's rude though to spend your money on beer and then go into a town with huge unemployment and use food stamps. I heard a number of complains about that from the locals.Marmot