[pct-l] Boots! And thx

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 23 15:57:29 CDT 2013

Michele wrote:

Another question for you all...
I just visited an REI store doing research. The shoe person contradicted
Yogi about the type of shoe usually worn on tue PCT. She insisted on a
sturdy boot to hike and not trailrunners..saying that anything less would
trash your feet even if going ultralight. From what I recall of Yogi's
book...most wear trailrunners.

A few of us wear (lightweight) boots for long-distance hiking, mostly due to
foot or ankle troubles that we need to compensate for, but most people find
that trailrunners work the best overall.  If you want *good* advice about
the right gear for thru-hiking, talk to thru-hikers, not salespeople.

Most REI salespeople mean well and honestly believe they're giving good
advice but if they've never done long-distance hiking then, respectfully,
they don't know what they're talking about.  There are a lot of ideas in the
outdoor gear industry that might have been true 30 years ago but were
obsolete a long time ago.  They're still getting passed around as fact,
though.

My general advice about shoes:

#1: Remember that everyone's feet are unique and different and what works
well for one person may be horrible for another.  Frankly, it often takes
some expensive experimentation to find what works best for you.  That's just
the way it is.

#2: Replace your shoes *before* they're completely broken down and worn out.
I see a lot of thru-hikers injuring themselves by trying to get just a
couple hundred extra miles out of already-trashed shoes and they often pay a
heavy price for it.  Trail runners are great for most people but generally
they'll break down faster than boots and have to be replaced more often.  Be
prepared for that.

Eric