[pct-l] New Wanna be Thru-hiker

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Sun Sep 22 12:18:06 CDT 2013

We were all wanna-be Thru Hikers once upon a time.

Be careful. This is how it goes:  (Remember the signs in the bathrooms at
the KO?)

Watch your Thoughts, as they become your Words.
Watch your Words, as they become your Actions.
Watch your Actions, as they become your Habits.
Watch your Habits, as they become your Character.
Watch your Character, as it becomes your Destiny.

For me, it started when an infant was taken on a camping road-trip across
the country.
Those summer journeys with the family began to include short walks into the
woods.
Of course, short walks discovered cool stuff along the trail and the
association was made.
Summer Camp in the Sierra included 50-miles backpack trips and I was gone!
Then Ryback published and the research began.
National Geographic published beautiful pictures from the trail and the
adventure-dream was visually cemented!

It all starts with an idea. Whether that came from something we heard or
read or saw, it "fit" with who we were inside and "stuck." Then that idea
grows and becomes a longing.

The long-trail changes us. It shows us who we really are inside. Then, upon
re-entry, we have to decide where we fit, as the contrast of wilderness to
civilization is altogether too real.

There is another life out there!

...and so it goes....

Ned Tibbits, Director