[pct-l] Mexico to Palm Springs

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Fri Sep 20 11:54:13 CDT 2013

I'll speak up to the snow aspects of hiking from the border to hwy 10 during
the winter months.

No matter whether you find yourself on the trail in the North Cascades,
northbound, during the first snows of the season (September/October) or in
the southern mountains around LA during the winter months, the concern is
what type of snow you'll be dealing with, powder vs. consolidated.

New snow is soft. Until it settles out, compacts down, and hardens up (from
freeze-thaw cycles on its surface or from the consolidation process), it is
not a pleasure to walk in because you'll have to plow through it. It is not
hard enough to walk on without suddenly plunging through its surface
(post-holing), so even with snowshoes, it takes a lot of strength and energy
to make any distance through it at all. Expect 1 mile an hour at best in
powder.

There are, also, concerns of avalanches in steep terrain since loose snow
wants to move downward in and of itself. Your own weight on it or the path
you cut through it can be a sufficient trigger to cause a slide's release.
You'll need to know how to identify avalanche-prone slopes and avoid them.
For the most part, though, SoCal's PCT doesn't have many, if any, avalanche
slopes until you get to the Desert Divide and San Jacinto.

Then, there's the issue of navigating over a buried trail. You'll need to
learn how to identify the signs present around you indicating where the
trail most likely goes. Halfmile's maps and a GPS with his data will easily
get you through, but your pace will be slow and steady. Remember, it doesn't
take much snow to hide the trail!

>From Mountain Education's opinion regarding hiking this section during the
winter months? Certainly do-able below snowline. You might get wet and cold
(yes, even in sunny California). Above snowline you'll need a little wise,
snow-savvy to get through and a lot of time and food.

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org