[pct-l] Winter desert hiking

gary_schenk at verizon.net gary_schenk at verizon.net
Tue Sep 17 12:43:08 CDT 2013

 The San Gabriels in the winter can be a crap shoot. It could be dry as a bone, or you could be up to your eyebrows in snow. It'll be cold and windy, you can bet on that. Below freezing at night, barely above during the day in the high country. The lower sections of the San Gabriels, the front range and the Gabrielino National Recreation Trail, are very doable in the winter, and even nice.

Angeles Crest Highway is usually closed in the winter.

Section E is a good choice for winter backpacking. My GF and I have done many backpacks trips in February and March in Section E. Water is much more readily available in the springs and streams. The trail angels seem to go into hibernation in the winter. The only evidence of trail angels we've seen in Sec. E is the trash at what's left of their water caches.

Lots of good winter backpacking in Southern California, but not in the high country. Of course, if you have the gear and skills, it'd be great.

Gary