[pct-l] JMT bread

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 13:18:15 CDT 2013

I avoid certain grains because of the damage they do to the
intestines, causing small leaks that allow foreign proteins to enter
the blood stream and engage the immune system. I also avoid them
because there really isn't any real nutritional substances in them
that can't be found in other foods in both greater quantities and in
more bioavailable forms. In preparation for future trips, I've
dehydrated a mixture of ground beef and liver. I'm hoping it'll make
a good chili packed with nutrients.

Things like almond meal or coconut flour are loaded with calories and
oxidized omega 6-rich polyunsaturated fats. I'm a fat little short
lady who struggles to stay lean even on backpacking trips, even long
distance hiking I'm probably one of the lucky few who started to gain
weight by the end. I avoid such products.

I eat nuts and seeds in moderation. I have a weakness for vegan
desserts. I'm not a vegan, but one thing they do well is make great
desserts. Vegan cheesecake and chia seed pudding are favorites.

My last trip (with Shroomer, Low Gear and TrailHacker) I went
cookless, something I learned from Shroomer. My breakfast was
homemade yogurt (from Nido, learned from Shroomer) with homemade
"granola" (no grains, more of a trail mix) and foraged berries. I
also had whey protein shakes with instant coffee. My lunch was
Journey bars (my one concession to ground grains), pemmican, almonds
and dried fruit and foraged berries. My dinner was home-dehydrated
mixture of mashed sweet potatoes, cooked and raw veggies (more cooked
than raw) and slow-cooked chicken breast. Due to a language barrier,
Yoshihiro insisted I have some of his soup each night and some of his
coffee each morning. I acquiesced to his arm-twisting :).

I ate small serving sizes. Because my food was relatively more
nutritious I did not get as hungry on small quantities and I did not
snack between meals except for berry picking. It may also have been
because of what Scott describes with the high insulin reaction of
acellular carbohydrates such as flour and sugar. I'm probably early
stage metabolic syndrome myself.

I enjoyed the no-cook method. However, there are lots of delicious
cooked things I enjoy. So I will probably continue to use my alcohol
stove sometimes.

My pack weighed about 17lbs fully loaded and included my strumstick
(a guitar-like instrument), my food and water, town clothes, half a
shared tent and all the rest of my stuff. I believe that going light
on the gear lets you experiment on other parts of your kit, lets you
bring better food and little luxuries that make the trip more fun.
Even on my PCT hikes I carried paperback books, town clothes,
pictures and letters from home and a paper and pencil journal. I'm
always open to new ideas and don't let all my ideas come from a
perspective of it has to be lightest of all or it has to be fastest
or better than anybody else's. All this ranking of everyone in the
hiker community is the essence of stupidity.