[pct-l] Isobutane Canister Performance

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Sat Sep 14 18:39:53 CDT 2013

> Still, I'm with Brick, the last day I used my canister stove was the first
> day I used my hi-tech, Yogi-endorsed, cat food can alcohol stove.  That way,
> I always know exactly how much mouthwash I have left....

I wrap duct tape around my fuel bottle, that way I can feel as well as
see that it is NOT my water bottle, AND I have a source of duct tape
for use on the trail.

I am not a "big advocate" of alcohol. I am a big advocate of having
accurate information, and making the right personal decision based on
it.

As I said earlier, one time while climbing I had a canister stove
become a spinning flame thrower, which made quite a display as it flew
down the side of Mt Cook after my partner kicked it away from us. It
is probably still somewhere inside the Plateau Glacier. Thankfully we
were on snow so we didn't start any wildfires, and we had a second
stove with us, so we could still melt water. It left a hole in my
pack, and in our tent. I have not been happy using canister stoves
since then.

"Burn ban" is to broad a term. There are several levels of restriction
for open flame on the PCT depending on the location and the season.
Most of the time, in most areas of the PCT, there are no restrictions.
Some times and areas restrict stoves without a shutoff valve, other
times and areas restrict ALL stoves, even canister stoves.

Last time I went car camping, I had my dinner boiling on my alcohol
stove before the person I was camping with set up  her jetboil, so I
don't see where speed is that big a deal. But to each his own

HYOH