[pct-l] at the "edge"

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 20:49:35 CDT 2013

Yoshihiro had this really good flattened brown rice. Looked sort of
like oats. He says it is very difficult to find in Japan. I found
some in an Asian market but it's Indian. It's called poha. Look up
flattened rice on wikipedia and that's what it is. I have not tasted
this product yet, but Yoshihiro's rice was really good so I'm hoping
the Indian version of it is okay.

Yoshihiro soup:
Water in a pot
Add some chicken broth granules
Add some dried green veggies and seaweed (I've dehydrated bok choy
and green onions and have hijiki and wakame but anything will work. I
don't know what Yoshihiro's greens were.)
Add some wild onions and/or mushrooms if you've been lucky enough to
find some
Boil
Add a little arrowroot powder to thicken it up
Add a little toasted sesame oil for flavor

That's the soup. The fewer ingredients you have, the poorer the soup
gets until you have poor-man's soup.

For the rice dish:
Augment the basic soup with whatever meat product you can get.
Yoshihiro could get chicken and beef in similar packets we get tuna
and salmon, but his chicken and beef were seasoned with soy sauce and
whatever else. Pour this over the flattened rice and let it sit for a
little while. You'll have a tasty Japanese meal.

For the potato "salad":
Dehydrated potato flakes (we'll just have to use mashed potatoes)
Add a little cold water, barely enough to get it reconstituted.
Add a generous portion of mayonnaise.
Add tuna.
Eat up!