[pct-l] at the "edge"

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 19:21:44 CDT 2013

I have a rep for being "ultralight", but on my last trip I had a few
luxuries, such as my 1lb musical instrument (a strumstick, look them
up, they're really fun to play.)

This summer I had the privilege of hiking with Yoshihiro, aka Low
Gear. Man he's strong! He can power up those mountains with triple
the weight on his back as mine. His pack is really comfortable for
such a big heavy pack, too. The food he cooks is great! I learned a
lot from him this summer. I've got all kinds of dried greens now for
my "Yoshihiro soup" and I found some flattened rice similar to what
he brings. I now even have a Japanese pocket bidet (thank you for
sending it to me.) His pack had really cool front pockets. So big you
could put a full-sized SLR camera with a big lens in one side and
still have room for more, but it was not in your way. I want to try
to attach something like that to my own pack.

One nice thing about our trip is we hiked somewhat more leisurely
than a thru-hike, but not nearly enough. Low Gear would try to
interject a little civilized backpacking into us to little avail. But
the afternoons ought to have a coffee break and nobody should rush
away from a spot with a great view. It's hard to undo the after-
effects of distance hiking, but we're learning...