[pct-l] Facing the wet North - tarp advice

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 18:49:48 CDT 2013

When I was hiking the PCT, if I was ever unsure of a "luxury" item I
was considering, I would test it out for a segment and if it proved
worthless, just mail it home. So give your tarp idea a try. If it's
not a good idea, no harm done. I recommend for a good cheap tarp the
Equinox 8x10 flat tarp. Not as fancy as a cuben fiber or catenary cut
tarp of some sort, but cheap.

I will say that I found in the old-growth areas that it was
surprisingly dry under some of the bigger trees, so I didn't have too
much trouble with finding a good place to put my stuff while I set up
my tent. But I was in Washington in August, a cold rainy August, but
still not October.

I'd keep the tent.

For a pack cover I used a big garbage bag I bought at the Kracker
Barrel convenience store on White's Pass. It was noisy but it did the
job and was cheap. I cut a couple holes for the straps and just
threaded them through, tucked all the excess in behind my back and
puff-puff-puffed down the trail with my big giant bag, tucking parts
in that would poof out now and then. I now have a real pack cover but
have never used it so I can't compare.

I didn't have a real rain jacket. I had an umbrella and a wind
breaker. This was inadequate. I also had chaps rather than rain
pants. Also inadequate. It was a cold, rainy August that I was there
and I could not sit down until my tent went up at night thanks to my
chaps and also I could not sit down because I had to keep moving or
else I'd get cold. So yeah, decent rain gear for your body is what
I'd recommend.

Embrace the foot soakings.

Diane