[pct-l] Isobutane Canister performance

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Tue Sep 10 00:15:52 CDT 2013

Hi, all:

I just finished hiking the Oregon section of the PCT and finally got
to definitively figure out how much fuel I use. I packed an MSR
isobutane cartridge that had an 8 oz net weight. I boiled 1 3/4 cup of
water daily and put the boiling water in a freezer ziplock with the
food in a cozy to cook. I used a snow peak canister stove attachment
and a titanium pot. It took 6.1 grams of fuel to boil 1 3/4 cup water.
I still had about a quarter of the fuel canister left after I reached
the Washington border. Now I know how to gage what's left in all my
partially used canisters at home. I can get about 37 days of 1 boil a
day from a larger MSR canister.
--Fireweed