[pct-l] Foreign Hiker - 2 questions and SPOT Connect

Charles Douvier chasmd at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 18:04:06 CDT 2013

I'd like to second the recommendation of a Delorme Inreach SE. My wife got
me one so she knew I was fine when hiking alone. It's really the most
affordable two way satellite text messaging platform I could find. It works
about as good as newer GPS unit under heavy tree cover. Typically 3 or 4
tracking points will stack up if I don't get much clearing but if you're
worried about it just stand near a small opening or send a message near one
and you'll catch them up. We signed up for the 40 custom text messages,
unlimited quick texts and unlimited tracking plan. I don't really like
banging out all 140 characters of a text on it's basic keypad unless I have
some sit down time.. but the quick texts are good for letting family know
all is well.
Ours preset messages are roughly:
1. Starting/Continuing my Hike, all is well.
2. Stopping or Resting for now. All is well. and
3. Turning unit on or off for the day. All is well.
I just finished a 5 day backpacking trip in the cascades.. my battery
lasted the whole time (down to about 30%) although I had a battery pack
charger because I anticipated needing it. I would guess my unit was on 12
hours a day. I track at 30 minute intervals. Keep in mind it charges by USB
cord with an internal battery pack. You'll need a solar charger or a
battery powered usb charger of some sort.

Delorme has a decent website for tracking where you've been but I wouldn't
say it was great. It seems you can also share your progress on
facebook/twitter but I haven't used that feature.

Delorme says it's 5.7 oz, REI says 7oz. It's extra weight regardless.

Chas

Message: 1