[pct-l] TRT trailhead parking

william jennings mrjenn at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 8 18:47:07 CDT 2013

There are 8 trailheads and 16 thru hikes depending on clockwise or counter clock direction.  You can start your trip to correlate with your level of conditioning.  I concur that Barker Pass is a good location.  A month ago I left my vehicle with rear door open for 12 days at Barker Pass.  It was undisturbed.  From here you can travel north to Blackwood Canyon and Granite Chief Wilderness with several well engineered climbs.  In one or two days, Tahoe City is your resupply if you are going unsupported and/or go downhill south thru Desolation Wilderness.  This latter route makes it easier to know you dates for the Wilderness permit.  The fee is $5/night camping.  Even if Echo Lakes would be available after Labor Day you have to consider the Tramway Market over on South Kingsbury, an unpleasant road walk.  They gladly hold packages, preferably paint bucket, sealed with duct tape with name and approximate hiker arrival.

Brick Robbins already addressed this last year.  This trail is good for training and provides all the nuances in preparation for a PCT thru hike.

+++++the Teutonic Knight+++++