[pct-l] Foreign Hiker - 2 questions and SPOT Connect

Eric Martinot eric at martinot.info
Sun Sep 8 16:09:04 CDT 2013

Sprint is about to merge with Softbank of Japan, not ATT.  My ATT prepaid Go Phone (GSM) still works fine in the US on the ATT GSM network. And it works with overseas SIMs on other overseas GSM networks I've tried, but only once it was unlocked (not easy).

The main question for overseas hikers, which is still unanswered, is the opposite, however: can an overseas GSM phone work with a prepaid ATT Go Phone SIM in the US?  (The ATT prepaid SIM is different from an ATT contract-based SIM.)  It's not a question of CDMA vs. GSM, but rather how the prepaid plan works, if the prepaid ATT SIMs are only meant to be used in ATT phones (I suspect).