[pct-l] What do you say to mountain bikers on the PCT?

Dan Jacobs youroldpaldan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 20:46:36 CDT 2013

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Eric Martinot <eric at martinot.info> wrote:

> My literal question, "what do you say to a mountain biker on the PCT" is
> still left essentially unanswered behind all the politics and opinions
> about sharing trails with bikes, legalities, law enforcement, etc.
> Perhaps the question is best left unanswered in the spirt of HYOH.   But
> I really was looking for specific quotable, civil,
> one-human-being-to-another phrases to use, in addition to chatting
> politely and respectfully about other things as I would with any other
> hiker.

I'm going to assume that you are not socially inept or have some kind of
true handicap, as you write well and communicate your thoughts clearly in
writing. That may be assuming too much, but hey, I don't know you at all. I
also cannot help but wonder if this is some kind of set-up, but I got a
pretty thick skin, so I'm going for it.

- "Good (Morning/Afternoon/Evening)!"
- "Is there anything up ahead of me I should know about?"
- "Is there (water/road/trail
junction/campground/store/resort/lake/stream/river/a UFO/an honest
politician) ahead of me?"
-" Can I see your map? Where exactly do you think we are on it?"
-"Have a great day, and be careful."
- And any other myriad of pleasant things that one could say to another
stranger in the middle of nowhere that might be kind and respectful of
another person seeking time in the outdoors just as you are.

But, above all, just be kind. As you would like others to be to you.

Dan Jacobs
Washougal
--
"Loud motorcycle stereos save lives."