[pct-l] What do you say to mountain bikers on the PCT?

Eric Martinot eric at martinot.info
Sat Oct 26 14:22:56 CDT 2013

While hiking CA Section L southbound a few weeks ago during the
government shutdown, I was passed by about 18 mountain bicyclists spread
out over two days, all going northbound.  The trail tread ahead was
entirely bike tracks.

I spent considerable thought mulling over what to say to them.  Early
encounters were treated just like encountering other hikers, discussing
trail conditions ahead, water, general hiker comments, have a good day.
And I was happy to see other humans on the trail in late season, to see
other people on remote isolated sections of trail. And I had respect for
their strength and skill to be biking such a difficult and remote trail.

But presuming they all knew they were not supposed to be there, what
does one say?   Nothing? Or take a hard-line attitude: "Get the f--- off
the trail, you are not supposed to be here" (?)   Or:  "You're causing
too much trail erosion and turning the trail into a difficult-to-hike
ditch." (?)   (I wondered if that is true, bike tires vs. feet vs. horse
hooves.)  Or perhaps, "from your presence, I've lost the serenity of the
trail because I'm constantly having to be aware of what might be
barreling down a narrow steep section of trail towards me so I can jump
out of the way to avoid a collision, and can't listen to music and zone
out as I usually do on the trail."

Then towards the end, I met a day-hiker who lived locally, and I asked
him whether so many bikes on the trail was normal for this part of the
PCT, and shared my dilemma of what to say to them.  He said no, normally
the potential $500 fines and mid-season influx of hikers kept the
bicyclists off the trail, but that the government shutdown had removed
that threat and the bicyclists were having a field day in the absence of
authority. Not sure if I believe that fully, but interesting if true,
and makes the question of what to say less important than I had thought!
 So, never mind!