[pct-l] Postholer's Map Books?

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Oct 23 12:42:20 CDT 2013

Just a funny point of reference on the published accuracy of PCT mileage
from the different guides out there...

In 1974 we didn't really have published mileages! You bought the topo maps
and a "map measure" (a hand-held gauged device with a tiny wheel you would
roll along the printed trail on the map) and were happy with the rough
estimate of a day's mileage.

After every day's Plan A turning to Plan B, it really didn't matter much how
many or few miles you did as long as you got to the next pay phone (in a
week or three) to call home on time!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org