[pct-l] Postholer's Map Books?

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Wed Oct 23 10:46:17 CDT 2013

> I bought the Postholer So. Cal. Book and it seems rather ideal. Am I missing
something?

No, you aren't missing "something" - there has been much discussion in the past on all of the PCT related forums regarding all the available
PCT 'maps' (Wilderness Press guides, Halfmile, Postholer, PCT Atlas, USFS/PCTA) - and now there are apps, too!  :-/

There are pros & cons to each 'set' of maps noted above - and the pros/cons can vary greatly from person to person...
I am not going to "pass judgement" on any set of maps, but I will note some comments (I have, BTW & FYI, all of the above map sets!)...

If 'weight' is your main concern, you can 'tear apart' the Postholer books into smaller sections - as is/was typically done with the WP Guides
(but then you will probably have a "bunch of loose, hard-to-handle" Postholer pages) - but you do NOT need to carry more maps than for
one or two sections at a time, at least initially (for later sections 'bounce' them up-trail or include them in your resupply shipments)...
Whichever, Postholer or Halfmile, one would carry the 'bulk' of the maps stored inside the backpack - having only those pages for the current
hiking day readily available outside of the pack...

Much of the past discussions concerned the so-called "official" mileages (but there is no such thing IMHO!) and the mileages differ between
the Halfmile, Postholer, & PCT Atlas maps (Halfmile's being closest to the perceived "official" mileages from the 2005 WP PCT Data Book)...
Personally, I find the mileage differences mostly irrelevant - a named waypoint, whatever mileage is given, will be the 'same', i.e., Hwy 74 is
still Hwy 74 - but the mileage differences do seem to really 'upset' some folks!  ;-)
Note that in using Halfmile's PCT app and Postholer's maps the mileages will differ, but waypoints by description would still be 'recognizable' -
and Postholer does have his own free "Data book" (.pdf file) on his website...

You will find that currently the majority (everyone please take that as meaning only "51% or more"!) of thrus use the Halfmile maps - but that
should NOT be the final factor in what YOU use!  Go with what map set suits you best and how you anticipate using them.  HYOH!!  ;-)

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)