[pct-l] Hiking nor cal in fall or: Govnt shutdown & wilderness

Christina Barba ckwrkornge at aol.com
Wed Oct 9 11:26:09 CDT 2013

Hi dale:

As an unpaid "essential" govnt employee, let me tell you, unofficially, that you are still welcome in the wilderness.  There will be no paid services e.g., campgrounds or visitor centers, but if you already have your maps you can still probably pick up a self-issue permit.  We've been welcoming hunters to land use and dispersed camping, I can't imagine why hikers would be different.

Note: no one is doing trail maintenance and forest service offices are only staffed with fire and law enforcement so don't bother stopping at a ranger station except in emergencies.

Best,
Ep

Sent from my iPhone