[pct-l] Lake Morena to Scissor Crossing

Jane Espasandin Janeespasandin at charter.net
Tue Oct 1 13:15:11 CDT 2013

I just got back from hiking about 60 miles of section A in S Cal. Beautiful weather and beautiful views of the Anza-Borrego Desert. My husband met me where he could park the car each day and we camp each night in Burnt Rancheria campground on Mt Laguna. The last day was 18 miles from Sunrise Trailhead to Scissor Crossing on Hwy S2. It was 92 deg on the desert floor but I had found a small umbrella in the car that I took with me each day & that saved me. The burn from Burnt Rancheria through Pioneer Mail picnic area is open, exposed and no water available so carry enough with you the whole way. There was 1 gal of water still in the cache at Rodrigues Spur Rd but don't count on that, carry your own. Some damage to the trail from mile 69-75 due to rain and washouts but it was nothing compared to what I found in the washouts near Powder Mt and Woody Pass on the way to the Canadian border 8/31 this year!
We did encounter high winds (34 mph) on Mt Laguna, I had read about Santa Ana winds in the Fall, maybe that was what it was. Anyhow, hope you enjoy your desert hiking as much as I did!

Sent from my iPhone