[pct-l] Late Start 2014

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 13:14:30 CDT 2013

I began early in April but didn't plan to hike the whole trail.  Five weeks
or so in the deserts was all I was after.  After a few weeks and then Kick
Off, however, there was no way I was leaving trail till the weather forced
me to.  I had to leave trail for 3 weeks to settle personal business and by
the time I came back, my buddies had made it to Lone Pine.  It was a high
snow year and rather than return to a very hot desert I jumped back in with
them and we all hiked the High Sierra together, the most beautiful,
difficult and memorable part of any hike I've ever done.

When I crossed into Canada in mid September, I took a week with my wife in
the Columbia Gorge and then headed down to finish the desert section I'd
missed and found an entirely different desert than I had experienced in
spring.  Wild desert fruits were everywhere, the nights were cool to cold
and the days very pleasant.  The trail was littered with millions of pine
nuts, I was truly alone for the first time on the hike, and water was still
flowing in the larger sources.  I didn't need any extra water caches
(although some sections might require this) and finished my hike at the
Saufley's home, a hiker paradise if there ever was one.  It was very
special and proved to be just as wonderful as hiking there in spring.  I
had no idea, but the desert without the red hot heat of summer is beautiful
anytime.

Shroomer