[pct-l] Start thru in March.

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Mon Nov 25 13:51:35 CST 2013

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Joe Roth <jroth2353 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Seaglass and I would like to start north from Mexico in March. Are there
> any sites showing historical climate data for the first 700 miles or so?
> Temperature and snow are our concerns.

You will have snow on San Jacinto, in Big Bear and over Baden Powell
near Wrightwood. Probably no any in the Piutes, but you will again in
the Sierra.

With an ice axe and basic snow skills (take Neds class) the only iffy
places are between Apache Peak and Taquitz (San Jacinto) where the
trail is blasted out of the rock, High Sierra Style, but that section
has eastern exposure and usually melts out early.

People freak about Fuller Ridge, but I don't really understand why.
Navigation is easy and the terrain is not that horrific. Here is a pic
early season on Fuller Ridge.
http://www.fastpack.com/brick/joe_fuller_ridge.jpg

In the spring all the way through May, you should be prepared for
occasional late season storm with high winds, freezing temps and
blowing snow and rain, as far south as Mt Laguna. Pay attention to the
forecast, and bail to lower terrain if one is coming.

YMMV, HYOH