[pct-l] Backpacking N CA in July

John Herrin johndavidherrin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 11:47:45 CST 2013

My wife and I will be heading SOBO on the PCT next summer, starting near
Ashland OR and hopefully ending at Kennedy Meadows. Our proposed dates are
July 15 to Oct 1. Now that July start date is flexible for us and I'd like
to leave closer to July 7 but I am worried about snow levels. We are
looking for some advice. I understand that snow levels can be drastically
different from year to year, but I am wondering if there is some generally
accepted guideline (i.e., don't plan to head north from Kennedy meadows
before June 15th, etc..) for the trail in N CA.

I was told the portion I most need to be concerned about was from Castle
Crags north.

Thoughts on this?
Thanks,
John Herrin