[pct-l] Mountain Education 2014 Courses

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Nov 18 00:45:34 CST 2013

Yes, the snow is finally starting to fly and the winter ski season is about to begin (Heavenly at Tahoe opens on 11/22!).

There have been many people asking about our PCT-related Snow Skills Training Courses for 2014. The school’s new website is up and running with all abbreviated snow course descriptions and gear lists accessible as long as you sign in as a Visitor (minor detail). Full Course Descriptions are only available to Students once they have applied to attend a course.

Under our “Academics” homepage tab can be found the school Calendar where all of our Snow Skills Course dates are shown by month through June.

To Apply for a course, find our Course Application in the “Academics” drop down menu at the top of every page, fill it out, and send it in for review.

We do not require payment for a skills training course. However, donations are a wonderful thing! We offer these skills courses to help aspiring snow-hikers and PCT thru hikers know what’s ahead of them and how to play safe and stay found. We have been doing this since 1982. We have some great Testimonials from prior-year thrus posted in the Student Union—have a read!

Note to 2015 thrus:

Get up into the high sierra during “thru-hiker” season (May-July) this year to see what it really looks like, what it takes to get around over snow at altitude, and test for yourself the challenges of peak-thaw creek crossings (of course, we teach this skill, too). Don’t rely on someone else on trail to teach you after you’ve started your thru hike. They may not be there when you need them. Get Prepared (don’t just read about it) for the Realities of the Snowy Trail and remember, one person’s experience out there may not be yours (depending on the winter we get this year, when Thaw hits, and your abilities/experience/preparations. Although we’d love to be your teacher, either go up there on your own or with the watchful eye of another school. Just do it.

Mountain Education is considering offering Snow Basics Courses in Northern Washington, Northern California, and Southern California (besides the Central Oregon course already on the Calendar)! If there is sufficient interest in a PCT-thru-hiker-specific snow skills training weekend, let us know and we’ll make it happen for you!

Watch for our advice and pictures regarding snow safety and awareness on the Facebook pages for Mountain Education, Ned Tibbits, PCT Class of 2014, John Muir Trail, and Pacific Crest Trail. We just want you guys to know what’s really out there and how to get ready for it!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org