[pct-l] Tarp camping: catenary vs rectangle

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Wed Nov 13 08:23:48 CST 2013

> only reservation is the versatility of pitching a rectangle tarp vs a

> catenary tarp, though it seams like there would still be lots of options

> with a cat tarp. would anyone care to discuss the pros and cons of the 2

> types, and who your favorite tarp builders are.

Catenary ("cat") cut tarps can still be quite versatile if the ridgeline cat cut is not too extreme -
and one also has some additional tie-outs around the perimeter (other than only at the ridgeline &
'corners'...  But what I found is that I almost always pitched my taps in the 'normal' (as designed) way
when 'camping' for the night - only time I used some other pitch was when I quickly 'threw' it up for
some rain or wind protection when taking a rest or 'lunch' break along a trail.

Many "cat tarps" have either a straight or only a very small cat cut curve on the ridgeline, with the
edges/perimeter sides having a cat cut to help eliminate the sides from flapping in wind - so those
would be more versatile than an extremely cat cut ridgeline in allowing multiple types of pitches plus
have much less 'flapping' than a straight-sided rectangular tarp...

My first cat tarp was made by Oware many years ago (& I still have it in the gear pile; BTW, Oware
made many of the tarps and bivys that were once sold through the BackpackingLight store); I then got
a TarpTent floorless Virga (with 'beak') that I used for a couple of years (still have it, also - I should have
gear sale!!); but then I 'discovered' hammocking and haven't looked back "to the ground" since...
But a hammock also needs weather protection(!) - and one uses a tarp for that...  I finally wound up
"going Cuben" to lighten my load some more - a HammockGear tarp "with doors"...

I have various bits & pieces of gear from all of the following cottage vendors (NOT in any type of ranked
order!) - all do excellent work, great craftsmanship, at very reasonable prices; all are easy to 'talk' to and
will do custom work if you want or need it...  Check them all out - I don't think you would be disappointed
no matter who you wind up dealing with!  ;-)

HG: <http://hammockgear.com/tarps/>
ZPacks: <http://www.zpacks.com/>
Oware: <http://shop.bivysack.com/main.sc>
& you already know of MLD: <http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/index.php>