[pct-l] Base weight criteria, AND..

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 17:59:27 CST 2013

I believe base weight means the weight of your stuff not counting
food and water or other "consumables". A reasonable target weight is
anywhere between 10 and 22lbs + or -. It depends on how strong you
are and other things like how much you want to spend and whether you
can accept gear that requires certain environmental conditions to
work (i.e. adequate site selection for your tent and sleeping gear to
work, that sort of thing.)

The thing that makes hiking the PCT different from other backpack
trips is that it's not a camping trip. It's a hiking trip. You only
need gear for hiking, eating and sleeping and nothing else because
you don't do anything else. You don't fish. You don't sit around in
camp in chairs getting cold. You don't cook elaborate meals. You
don't take off your shoes to walk across creeks. You don't even
change your clothes.

I managed over the duration of my two hikes to trade out and reduce
my stuff to the point where I had about 12lbs of stuff. Perhaps a
little more as time went on and I decided it was worth it to carry
town clothes and a book to read. My food weighed at least 10lbs
leaving town and in the desert I'd carry up to 3 or 4 liters of water
so that added a lot more weight to that 12lbs, meaning that having my
base weight as low as possible was a real benefit for someone as
relatively weak as me.

A good resource is Ray Jardine's Thru-hiker Handbook which you might
be able to find in a library or used bookstore. It's out of print,
replaced by Beyond Backpacking, which might also be out of print and/
or replaced by something else. There's new gear now since that book
was written, but it's a good start for understanding a systems
approach to gear and reliance on your own skills to solve problems.