[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 71, Issue 7

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 11:52:10 CST 2013

Be really careful about popping pills!

I belong to a cycling club and one of our finest cyclists attempted the
"Furnace 500" where participants cycle 500 miles in some very high
temperatures.  He was very fit, well supported and this event should not
have been a problem for him.  He has done Paris Brest Paris (900 miles I
think), and many long distance Brevets.  Because he was sweating a lot he
felt he should take a lot of salt, electrolyte tablets.  He ingested too
many and the excess salt made his entire body swell up with water.  I
forget his other symptoms but he ended up quitting after 100 miles.

Had he just eaten "Fritos" (Brick's electrolyte fave), his body would have
rejected eating the salty chips long before his salt concentrations reached
toxic proportions!  Popping pills is just not the answer!!!  Eat nutritious
foods!!!!!

Eating good tasting food is very pleasurable!  One reason I hike, is so I
can have the glorious experience with food, without gaining a lot of
weight.  (I think I'm still talking about food, he he he)  People are
forcing themselves to ingest horrible powders and suggesting how lemonade
can mask the terrible taste.  Why do people want to do that?  I LOVE eating
food!  ...just saying!

Toga