[pct-l] Desert water filters

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Thu May 30 19:32:54 CDT 2013

My experience was that prefiltering was almost never necessary and
when it might have made things more aethetically pleasing, I would
just be grateful I'm old enough to have presbyopia and not be wearing
my reading glasses.

That said, I live in So Cal, I drink the water here unfiltered and
have done so for decades and my experience on the PCT was to have
people stare in amazement and disgust that I would drink from certain
water sources. Water sources that looked perfectly clear to me and
were treated with a little aquamira. Many people visiting So Cal will
walk by a decent water source and declare there is no water there
when I will walk by the same source and file the information away
that this is a good water source to remember for next time.

If anything, I drank a heck of a lot more murky water in Oregon than
anywhere else on the trail.