[pct-l] Rain pants, rain kilt, wind pants, or nothing for the Sierra?

gary_schenk at verizon.net gary_schenk at verizon.net
Wed May 29 13:22:38 CDT 2013

 July is monsoon season in the Sierra. It can rain for several days in a row. August is afternoon thunderstorm season. September is pure bliss season.

Take a rain jacket.

Just MHO.
Gary

On 05/29/13, Alan Miller wrote:

Thank you everyone who responded to my last post about July 4th. We got
our permit reserved for the JMT/PCT loop section by Mammoth! Now the fun
stuff - gear. I see a lot of gear lists where people do not add rain pants
or even a rain jacket until Oregon. I struggle with this because where we
live, rain is inevitable on most trips. I always pack a rain jacket and
rain pants. Are rain pants necessary in the Sierra at the beginning of
July or would a pair of wind pants be enough? Or, should we not bother
with either? Both of our rain jackets are very light, so I will pack them
anyway, but the pants are kind of heavy. Thanks