[pct-l] Rain pants, rain kilt, wind pants, or nothing for the Sierra?

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Wed May 29 13:00:43 CDT 2013

My experience of hiking in the Sierra for 45 years is you do need a rain
jacket or poncho, and don't need rain pants.  I've been stuck in two
daystorms,or weather fronts that moved through that had it spit and
rain, spit some more, rain some more, with sun breaks.

The norm though, is a five to seven day pattern of heat build up in the
valleys, and thunderclouds, then storms, then clear weather in the high
country.  The clear weather can last two to five days.  But the cycle,
in the most general, is about a week.  You can have dayafter day of warm
weather with few clouds, and day after day of rain.  Both are a bit more
anomalous than thethunderstorm cycle.

Just my remembrance!

Jeffrey Olson
Rapid City, SD