[pct-l] Lassen over Memorial Day weekend?

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Wed May 22 19:01:40 CDT 2013

Hey Piper's Mom, this is Piper's Mom's Daughter.

I remember in 2009 when I hiked through that you had cut out a
newspaper article for me about Huff-and-Puff and his girlfriend
hiking your area over Memorial Day. I guess that year there was a lot
of snow but they found their way okay. The lady in the forest service
office accused them (to me directly, not in the paper) of getting
lost because they mentioned there were lots of blowdowns. They
weren't lost. There WERE lots of blowdowns that year. I counted them
the first day and got to 50 before I lost track. And I talked to Huff-
and-Puff that early July when I was there and he said they didn't get
lost.

Anyway, they successfully went from Quincy-LaPorte Road to Highway 36
which I believe is higher and more wild than Lassen, in a higher snow
year, over Memorial Day, with a certain amount of struggling through
snow but not so much that they got lost, if that means anything to
anybody.

Diane