[pct-l] Rock Slide

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Tue May 21 19:55:43 CDT 2013

I hope that someone will caution the man with the mules before he gets there. I usually was not aware of stock-impassible obstacles until I got there. Large down trees, especially, could take me a long time to get past - if I could get past at all.  During my PCT ride from M. to C. I had to cut more than 60 trees blocking the PCT. I found a way around many, many, more. These were obstacles that barely slowed the hikers down. That's one of the reasons why it takes so much longer to ride the PCT on a horse than it takes to hike it. The other is all the time you must allow for the horse to graze and to care for him.

I hiked through Fuller Ridge with a friend last winter.  He demonstrated for me how he could quickly extinguish his alky stove flame. He just dropped his cooking pot down over it to smother the flame. If you have your dinner in the pot it would be a real mess. Devising a cap of some kind would be a good idea. In many areas of National Forests, I think that stoves used in the back country must have shut-off valves. You can't use wood-burning portable stoves or build camp fires either.

MendoRider-Hiker