[pct-l] C-A-M-P-F-I-R-E-S / And the Mountain Bike problem

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Tue May 14 15:45:03 CDT 2013

Craig, I have seen PCT posts that had, it was obvious, an emblem removed. This was in areas where, looking at the tire tracks, illegal MB's were using the PCT. So, I assume it was the MB'ers who removed  MB emblems. Unless you can catch them in the act and take pictures you can't prove it - and they know it. That sort of thing has been going on for a long time. More than a decade ago two of my customers (who had bought one of my Ford 4WD campers), and who were also among those who inspired me to ride the PCT, told the following PCT story from their experience as they hiked on it:  They had reached a place somewhere north of Agua Dulce ( I think that I remember that they had mentioned having stopped at the Saufleys. Their trail names, given to them by other hikers, was "Salt & Pepper"- later it was to become Orian and Brook) and got lost on a very steep trail that was supposed to be the PCT. They eventually turned back and on close examination of a fork
 in the trail, they discovered that the PCT post had been dug up and planted on the fork of the trail that they had taken. There were MB tracks on the fork of the trail that was the actual PCT. So, among the good advice that they gave me, was that if you find yourself on a trail that is very steep - it's not the PCT, you are probably lost. Getting lost can be risky.

Documenting MB violations, vandalism, and illegal campfires, with pictures including both face and location identification, can help in protecting the PCT. We then must report them. If enough hikers and equestrians did that, there would be better enforcement of laws designed to protect the PCT. The consequences for willful violations should be substantial.

MendoRider-Hiker