[pct-l] C-A-M-P-F-I-R-E-S / And the Mountain Bike problem

jason povey golobos_55 at yahoo.com
Sun May 12 23:39:48 CDT 2013

Congress cares about what lobbyist tell them to care about.  SUWA is a great example of how to lobby congress to get them to give a crap about protecting trails and wilderness, check them out and the Red Rock Act they have been working on.  My intention was not to start an argument, I mountain bike and love touring so of course I would love to tour the PCT, it would be amazing.  That being said I do see how hikers feel uncomfortable with mnt bikes on the trail, i am not advocating motorbikes, but I have never in 18yrs of mnt biking seen a bike tear up a trail like a horse.  The conditions to cause significant damage are not conditions people typically choose to ride in and frankly muddy trails are nearly impossible to ride a bike...but not a horse not even getting into the damage caused by a 1000lb animal with four legs and a 200lb man on a 30 lb bike with 3in wide tires.  I am fine sticking with the Divide trail and maybe someday there will be a
 sister trail to the PCT for bikers like has been developed on the divide, but then again you have to weigh the damage of a new trail.  Its a sticky subject and one that I dont think is important enough to spend time arguing over, there are much more pressing issues threatening our wilderness than my fat tires.  Jason