[pct-l] C-A-M-P-F-I-R-E-S

Benjamin Grunbaum bengrunbaum at gmail.com
Fri May 10 15:40:39 CDT 2013

I do not know if the hikers who are starting the campfires illegally have
access to the internet or if they could even read if they did.  I am sorry
about the sarcasm but it is frustrating that people I identify with
selfishly and flagrantly violate the laws.  I do not believe for one second
they do not know that it is illegal.  They were probably cold because they
did not bring layers, including rain jackets previously mentioned on this
blog, and selfishly decided to start a fire rather than get in their
sleeping bag.  Atleast, I hope they did it because they were cold.  The
alternative, that they did it for the sake of enjoyment that a fire can
bring for only those sitting around it, at the potential expense of
thousands, is very frightening.

If I did not have a job I would walk the trails and report these people.
 The selfish people who do this despite the warnings not to, must be
stopped and fined heavily.  I have hiked in many areas where there is not
much of a fire risk but there is a shortage of organic material returning
to the soil.  So many people have had fires that the material which would
decompose into soil is just blowing away after it is burned.  I have been
to places where there are signs only the blind could miss saying fires are
prohibited yet I would see people starting fires. There are always reasons
for these prohibitions but some people just do not care. A massive fine
would probably do the job.