[pct-l] C-A-M-P-F-I-R-E-S

Ann Marie dbanmrkr at yahoo.com
Fri May 10 15:16:30 CDT 2013

It seems we have to keep repeating this message because it is not getting through to the hikers:   Please no campfires !

We just learned that the 3rd gate area now has a campfire ring, showing multiple usages. This is new in the past week or so, so this year's hikers are responsible for creating it. Not only is this illegal there (yes, it most certainly is !), but campfires are illegal in most of SoCal.  There is also a local family nearby that had to evacuate very quickly last year because of a fire in that area. And they could smell the smoke from the campfire(s) this year. How scary is that? It's also unethical to put others in danger just because you are too uncool to know about and follow the regulations already in place.

Please use hiker peer pressure to stop these illegal campfires whenever you see them.  The danger is very real this year, along the entire PCT too.