[pct-l] section hiking oregon and washington

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri May 10 09:03:55 CDT 2013

Good morning, Erin,

The question of how to “get in and get out” is simple:  There are road
crossings at (mostly) suitable places south and north of the sections you
wish to hike.  A much more difficult question is who will get you in and
get you out because public transportation to/from this variety of places is
almost out of the question.

There are hikers who use two vehicles to move ahead -- one left at the
section head and one left at the section end – but that won’t solve your
problem.  About the only solution is to find a person – or people – who are
willing to make 9 or 10 round-trips to drop you off and pick you up at
access points.

I’ve section hiked both Oregon and Washington, and did that very thing: The
people I prevailed upon to make the trips were my wife, and several
different relatives.  Arranging such support was difficult at best.  It
required forbearance and sacrifice on their part, and the willingness on my
part to adjust my schedule to the reality that “beggars can’t be choosers”.
This, as difficult as it was, was far better than your situation because I
didn’t have to meet a thru-hiking other person at specific locations and at
difficult-to-determine times/dates.

Good luck,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye