[pct-l] Boot selectio

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Fri May 3 02:07:17 CDT 2013

Chris Wright wrote:

Trying to pick between a hiking boot like a Keen Oregon PCT, or a heavier
backpacking boot like Asolo Power Matic.  Am hiking Oregon in Aug with a
40-45 pound pack.  I weigh 180 with very normal problematic feet.  Opinions?

The first thing I'd say is that you should try to figure out how to reduce
your pack weight substantially.  You should be able to get quite a bit lower
than that even counting food and water.  But that's not what you were asking
about so I won't harp on it.  :-)

Even with a 45 pound pack you probably don't need or want a heavy
backpacking boot.  The PCT is generally pretty easy walking - there's just a
lot of it and you want something that'll let your feet move more or less
naturally.  Of the two you asked about, I'd definitely choose the Keens.
Many long-distance hikers use trail runners and that works for a lot of
people, but lightweight boots are a perfectly valid option as well if that's
what you want.  I use Lowa Renegades myself.  (Insert my standard disclaimer
that shoes and feet are very personal and what works for one person may be
horrible for another.)

Whatever you choose, make sure you get them and train in them for a while
before your hike, as close to actual conditions as possible (40 pound pack,
etc.).  If what you buy doesn't agree with your feet you want to know that
ahead of time, not after you start your hike.

Eric