[pct-l] ? Recommendations & Information

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Mar 30 08:23:48 CDT 2013

Good morning, Jim,

A sage comment attributed to Yogi is, “We pack for our fears.”  Since
broader experience and increased competence leads to fewer and lesser
fears, I say the gear list isn’t the first places to look when reducing
weight.  I think one should first get comfortable with the process of
maximizing hiking time and minimizing “camping” time before finalizing a
gear list.

A net search will bring enough information to guide most people to good
decisions, provided one understands that much of the resulting information
will have been provided, supported, encouraged, and possibly subsidized by
marketers whose primary objective is to sell lots of … whatever.

I’m a more-or-less typical ultra-lite hiker with an approximate 8-pound
base weight, the contents of which is described and discussed beginning at:
 http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/ and continuing for the next 20 or
so pages.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye