[pct-l] spikes/axe

Kathryn Thompson katzenjammer12 at yahoo.ca
Sat Mar 30 01:32:40 CDT 2013

Hi all,

Nearing the end of my to-do list now....

I'm wondering about microspikes and ice axe - in particular for Fuller Ridge area and of course the Sierra (and any parts further north that could be a concern?).

Assuming for the moment that this low snow year continues its trend, should I take the spikes or the axe, or both, or neither?  Currently I use two trekking poles and wear Brooks trail runners.  I've had some experience with suncups, postholing and crossing low-angle slopes - my most challenging was a 50 meter traverse across a 45 degree slope with a (potential) hundred meter slide to a rocky landing.  Didn't even use trekking poles at that time, and nearly had to change my underwear afterwards, but every challenge makes you stronger I guess!?

Advice much appreciated from previous thru-hikers and locals in the area, and also keen to hear what this year's hikers are planning.

Cheers from NZ, and thanks for all the great feedback!
Kat