[pct-l] Leave No Trace - okay to bury TP?

Tim Gustafson tjg at tgustafson.com
Tue Mar 26 19:01:58 CDT 2013

> When TP is buried in a cathole, animals dig it up, and soon
> it is in plain sight of hikers.

I've hiked thousands of miles over perhaps 20 years, and have never
seen TP dug up by animals littering the side of any trail.

I'm sure it happens.  I'm sure some people do it "wrong".  But as I've
stated before: wrapping poop up in a plastic bag and delivering it to
a garbage can only serves to make something that's biodegradable into
something that's non-biodegradable, and to fill up our landfills more
quickly.

There's no such thing as "leave no trace" unless you just don't go.
The PCT is itself a trace.

--

Tim Gustafson
tjg at tgustafson.com