[pct-l] Leave No Trace - okay to bury TP?

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Mon Mar 25 17:40:10 CDT 2013

Alas, most of the TP I have encountered during 30 years of hiking has
exhibited no brown stains. This strongly suggests that the culprits are
female. For the uninformed, absent a urinary tract infection, our urine is
sterile.

To pick up "soiled" TP comfortably, turn an empty ziplock bag inside out.
Put your hand inside the bag. Pick up the used TP with your now protected
hand and hold on to it. Use the other hand to turn the bag right side out.
The TP is now inside and your unsoiled hand is outside. Zip it tight. Stow
in an OP sack in an outside pack pocket. End of problem.

At the next trash can, toss the entire ziplock and contents. Continue to
save ziplock bags as your food is used up. Empty Mountain House packs also
work, but it is usually not possible to turn them inside out.