[pct-l] Dehydrating veggies

dicentra dicentragirl at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 25 10:17:07 CDT 2013

Yay! A food question! I love food questions.

I have a whole page on my website dedicated to dehydrating.  A lot of your questions can be answered there. http://onepanwonders.com/dehydrator.html

Yes! On using the frozen veggies! I have corn and broccoli in my dehydrator right now.

I've been doing a lot of jerky lately. I buy the seasoning kits from Cabelas and meat pre-sliced from the Korean market. You can also get the butcher to slice the meat thinly for you. That way you can make sure your pieces are even (for even drying times).  I season my meat the evening before and then put them on the dehydrator trays and let it run on it's highest temp. (I have a blog post about this coming up this week, btw).

Stinky stuff like onions, I do outside. I got in big trouble with the hubby once when I ran 8 trays of mushrooms. He HATES mushrooms and the house had a lovely earthy smell for a day. Oops.

I don't know what to tell you about the kiwis. I've never had them turn brown on me.

If I missed answering anything let me know. Always happy to talk food! :)

~Di

http://www.onepanwonders.com ~ Backcountry Cooking at its Finest
http://www.freewebs.com/dicentra